Wood Stove Cause of Maplevale Road Structure Fire

UNION TOWNSHIP, Jefferson Co. (EYT) — A wood stove was the cause of a fire Wednesday evening that destroyed a mobile home in Union Township, Jefferson County.

Corsica Fire Company Chief Don Smith reported that when his company arrived at 168 Maplevale Road, flames were coming through the roof.

“I got the text from county 911 at 5:25 p.m. and when we arrived the fire was through the roof,” Smith said. “We didn’t have any issues with the weather, the only thing was there was no water source nearby, so we had to bring water from a hydrant that’s near Farmer Smith’s on Route 322.”

There were no injuries reported and Smith reported that all crews were back in service by 9:30 p.m.

The man that lived in the home refused Red Cross assistance and Smith said he was staying in another building on the property that had heat and water.

The property was not insured. Smith wasn’t sure of the total damage amount, but guessed it to be about $15,000.

Four departments were called out, including the Corsica Fire Company, Brookville Volunteer Fire Company, Summerville Volunteer Firemen and Pine Creek Township Fire Company.

Jefferson County EMS (Brookville) also responded.

Copyright © 2018 EYT Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of the contents of this service without the express written consent of EYT Media Group, Inc. is expressly prohibited.
Comments are temporarily closed. A new and improved comments section will be added soon.