Boy Flown to Hospital After Punxsy Basement Explosion

1235496_10152748269458302_8668417547099761996_n[1]PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. (EYT) – A 14-year-old boy was flown to a Pittsburgh hospital Saturday following an explosion at a residence in Henderson Township, Jefferson County.

Punxsutawney-based State Police say the explosion occurred around 10 a.m. at the 265 Pike Road home of 42-year-old Jake William Byler.

Police say a 14-year-old boy attempted to accelerate a basement wood stove fire by adding kerosene from a 5 gallon can causing an explosion that set the basement on fire.

The fire was confined to styrofoam insulation burning on the ceiling. Big Run Volunteer Fire Company QRS was able to contain the fire to the basement.

Police say the juvenile had to be flown to a burn unit in Pittsburgh as a result of his injuries.

Mutual Aid was provided by Punxsutawney Fire Department, Sykesville Volunteer Fire Company, McCalmont Township Volunteer Fire Company, and Mahaffey Volunteer Fire Department.

Damage to the home is estimated at $30,000.00.


Copyright © 2021 EYT Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of the contents of this service without the express written consent of EYT Media Group, Inc. is expressly prohibited.

Comments are temporarily closed. A new and improved comments section will be added soon.