Brookville Borough Pursuing Grant for Marlin Street Stormwater Project

BROOKVILLE BOROUGH, Pa. (EYT) – Brookville Borough Council approved a motion to pursue a grant to fund a stormwater project in the Marlin Street and Elm Drive areas at Tuesday evening’s council meeting.

According to Borough Engineer Ken Beldin, the grant, which is available through the Department of Community and Economic Development, would be utilized for a stormwater drainage project in an area of the borough that has been plagued by flooding issues.

“There are some drainage issues along Elm Drive, Marlin Street, and Daugherty Street that should be addressed, and I think it’s great we have an opportunity to apply to fix these problems,” Beldin said.

“I understand there has been some localized flooding there that we’ve been trying to fix. What we’d like to do there is instead of a patchwork fix to this we’ll do a more global approach to the situation and try to get that water out out of the lawns and off the street.”

According to Beldin, the estimated total project cost, including construction, administration, and engineering, is $408,203.25.

While the total may seem daunting, a grant program through the Department of Community and Economic Development would cover 85% of the cost, leaving the borough responsible for 15% of the cost as a matching fund, totaling $61,230.52.

The grant application process requires a letter of ownership stating the borough owns and will own the facility, a matching funds letter stating the matching funds will come from the borough’s general fund, and a resolution to apply for the grant.

It was noted during the meeting that the matching fund money could also come from other grants, depending on any other grant opportunities discovered to be available.

However, the borough council had to make a quick decision on the main grant, as the application for the main grant is due by December 13.

Council member Bill Kutz made a motion to move forward an approve the letter of ownership, matching funds letter, and resolution to apply for the grant. The motion was seconded by council member Karen Allgeier, who attended the meeting via phone, and was then unanimously approved by the council.


Copyright © 2019 EYT Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of the contents of this service without the express written consent of EYT Media Group, Inc. is expressly prohibited.

Comments are temporarily closed. A new and improved comments section will be added soon.