Teen Who Died After Garbage Exploded in Burn Barrel Was Junior Firefighter

teen firefighterBELL TOWNSHIP, Pa. (EYT) – The 15-year-old from Bell Township who died in a freak accident while burning garbage Tuesday was a junior firefighter.

According to WJAC-TV in Johnstown, Thane Lucas had signed up to be a junior firefighter with the Mahaffey Volunteer Fire Department a year ago.

Punxsutawney-based State Police said Lucas was putting a bag of garbage in the burn barrel when an unknown item in one of the bags exploded in the fire and caused garbage to fly out of the barrel and hit Lucas in the neck.

He was flown to UPMC Altoona, but later died.


Copyright © 2021 EYT Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of the contents of this service without the express written consent of EYT Media Group, Inc. is expressly prohibited.

Comments are temporarily closed. A new and improved comments section will be added soon.