Hay Bales Catch Fire, Destroy Garage in North Mahoning Twp.

fire-truckNORTH MAHONING TWP., INDIANA CO., Pa. (EYT) – The Pennsylvania State Police Fire Marshal Unit investigated the origin of a structure fire that occurred Tuesday at a residence on Miller Road in North Mahoning Township, Indiana County.

Punxsutawney-based State Police say the fire occurred around 4:25 p.m., at the residence of Cody and Natasha Matts.

The cause of the fire was the result of heat transfer from the engine/muffler of a lawn tractor to the adjacent stack of hay bales, according to police.

Police say the homeowners had recently used a lawn tractor to mow the yard. The tractor was then parked inside the garage near a stack of 50 hay bales. Smoke was later discovered coming from the garage. The homeowner re-entered the garage to find the stack of hay bales on fire. An attempt was made to extinguish the fire with a garden hose, but the fire grew too large to be extinguished, and 911 was notified.

Perry Township Fire Department and mutual aid companies responded and extinguished the fire, but not before it reached the second story and the roof of the structure.

Damage to the garage, which was insured, is estimated at $15,000.

No injuries were reported.


Copyright © 2022 EYT Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of the contents of this service without the express written consent of EYT Media Group, Inc. is expressly prohibited.

Comments are temporarily closed. A new and improved comments section will be added soon.